How Your Skin Changes with Age & What to Do at Every Stage
From a young age, we’re bombarded with advice about preventing the signs of ageing. What the Internet vortex doesn’t tell us is how this is different for every stage of life.
What works in your plump 20-something skin isn’t the same as what you need as your reach retirement age. That’s why we’ve laid out all the common skin concerns by decade.
Learn how your skin changes with age and what you can do to always look younger than your years.
COMMON SKIN PROBLEMS: EXCESS OIL, ACNE & BREAKOUTS, ACNE SCARS
A lot happens in your teen years. You’re probably noticing plenty of changes caused by the hormonal fluctuations that come with puberty. And for many, this adds up to new skin challenges you didn’t worry about when you were a child.
Even though acne is a common concern for teenagers, that doesn’t make it any easier to handle. As well as a physical concern, it can also have an emotional impact. But you don’t have to put up with acne just because you’re a teenager.
Teenage Skincare Tips
Use products that fight acne on multiple levels but don’t strip your skin of essential oils.
- Cliniprep – antimicrobial solution that kills p. acnes bacteria whilst providing the ideal condition for rapid skin recovery after an outbreak
- CLR Foam Cleanser and CLR Lotion – the perfect cleanser and moisturising duo to keep pores clean and teenager skin balanced
Nimue Y: Skin
- Nimue Y:SKIN Facial Wash – soap-free cleanser in a light gel that removes impurities immediately and acts as a shield against future breakouts
- Nimue Y:SKIN Clearing Moisturiser – problem skin treatment with a light non-greasy texture
- Nimue Y:SKIN Moisturiser provides daily moisturisation and preservation that protects healthy skin against the effects of environmental damage and eczema
- Nimue Y:SKIN Active Blemish Control – antiseptic skin preparation for the control of sebaceous gland congestion
- Nimue Y:SKIN purifying Mask – clay-based mask that offers antiseptic, soothing and healing properties
- AcneFix – spot treatment directly to blemish affected areas. Recommended for all skin types experiencing blemish breakout from the mildest to the most inflamed
Skin in your 20’s
COMMON CONCERNS: FINE LINES, DULL SKIN, DARK CIRCLES OR PUFFY EYES
Your 20s can be some of your most fun years. If you spend lots of time outdoors or enjoy plenty of late nights, you need to make sure to protect your skin from damage now. Otherwise, it could catch up with you later.
In your 20s, you skin starts to gradually thin—a process that will continue from here on out. Collagen mass decreases by 1% per year. In addition, barrier function and natural UV protection are weakened.
Skincare in your 20’s
The sun will age your skin more than virtually anything else. So, you need to protect yourself from this threat even when inside. Wear sunscreen every day and reapply.
Even though you probably don’t have wrinkles yet, it’s a good idea to start using a retinoid to pre-emptively ward off these tell-tale signs of ageing. You can start by using it every few days to build up a tolerance.
After a fun night out or a long-haul flight, restore the appearance of the fragile eye area with a good eye cream or serum and an eye mask
- DPDermaceuticals – Cover Recover SPF 30
- Nimue SPF 40
- Nimue Environmental Shield SPF 50 (protects against blue light and pollution)
- Nimue Tinted Sunscreen SPF 40
- SkincareRX Sunfix SPF15 – physical sunblock
- Suntegrity SPF 30 (NSF Certified Organic, Reef Friendly & Cruelty Free)
- DPDermaceuticals Retinal Active
- Skincare RX A-Fix
- Nimue Radiance Serum
- DPDermaceuticals R.E.R. Eye Mask
- SkincareRX Eyefix – multi-vita peptide cream, the ultimate age management for skin around the eyes
- Nimue Anti-Ageing Eye Cream – skin rejuvenation, anti-ageing and protective properties
- Nimue Eye Serum – for the treatment of dark cercles, puffiness, bags and wrinkles
- Nimue AI Eye Serum – lifting and firming effect, reducing the appearance of wrinkles
Skin in your 30’s
COMMON CONCERNS: LINES & WRINKLES, PIGMENTATION/SUN DAMAGE, ROSACEA
By your 30s, you’re hitting your stride in life. You may have a greater sense of self and have already spent a few years experimenting with different skincare products. Perhaps you’ve started to try out a few procedures such as micro-needling, lasers or fillers.
It’s in this busy decade that your skin barrier is weakened, and cellular turnover decreases further. It’s more bad news we’re afraid with less natural Collagen and Hyaluronic Acid. And it’s in your 30s that you’re most likely to see rosacea appear (especially if you’re a woman with fair skin).
Skincare in your 30’s
The good news? There’s plenty you can do to combat these natural processes. If your routine consists of a basic cleanser/moisturiser combo, it’s time to add in some antioxidants with a serum. This can help reverse some of the damage that has occurred. If excess pigmentation is your biggest concern, try a tyrosinase inhibitor instead. Continued use of a potent Vitamin A which will help keep fine lines and wrinkles at bay.
- Antioxidant Cocktail – reversing some of the damage
- Brite Lite – for improving and prevention of pigmentation
- Retinal Active – keep fine lines and wrinkles at bay
- Nimue Stemplex Serum – fusion of multi-actives with plant stem cells and Pichia Resveratrol for the prevention and treatment of genetic ageing, in addition to the treatment of environmental damage
- Nimue Fader Serum – concentrated in a lightweight bast for the enhanced treatment of hyp0erpigmentation and uneven skin complexion
- Radicalfix – antioxidant infusion delivering a potent boost of powerful ingredients with preventative, restorative, and protective properties
- Pigmentfix – this brightening complex will renew the surface of the skin while diminishing the appearance of uneven skin tone
Skin in your 40’s
COMMON CONCERNS: ROUGHNESS/ DRYNESS, DEEPER WRINKLES, AGE SPOTS, LOSS OF RADIANCE
We think the confidence, wisdom, and experiences you’ve gained in the last 4 decades definitely outweigh the few extra grey hairs or loss of collagen your 40s bring. You may have a bit more time and money to invest in your skin than when you were saving every penny for a night out in your 20s.
There’s no denying your skin undergoes some significant changes in your 40s. Every layer of skin is affected. The top layer thins, and the skin cells here shrink. The connective tissue in the middle layer breaks down and doesn’t retain water like it used to. And the bottom fatty layer reduces.
Skincare in your 40’s
2 words: Hyaluronic Acid (HA). This is a substance your body creates naturally, but your stores deplete as you age. The good news is you can reapply more topically IF (and it’s a big if) the formulation consists of small enough molecules to penetrate your skin layers.
During a Dermapen Treatment, the needles pushed these miracle formulas even deeper for rejuvenation from within. Microneedling also stimulates a natural increase in collagen, elastin, and blood flow for a youthful glow well into your 40s and beyond.
- HylaFuse consists of a unique formulation of 3 sizes of HA (Hyaluronic Acid) which penetrate your deeper skin layers
- Nimue Hyaluronic Ultrafiller Serum – triple action approach, providing anti-pollution, anti-oxidation, anti-ageing benefits together with deep hydration
- Nimue Hyaluronic Oil – a gel-oil suitable for dry skin types
- Hydrafix – multi-B hydrating complex delivers a potent boost of soothing, de-stressing, and hydrating ingredients
Skin in your 50’s
COMMON CONCERNS: DRYNESS, ACNE, EXCESS PIGMENT (AGE SPOTS OR MELASMA)
Whether you’re spending your 50s coaching teen kids through their own skin dramas (which will look completely different to yours) or heading off on a new adventure, it’s time to give back … we’re talking about your skin, of course!
If you’re on the other side of menopause, your hormones will have shifted again—oestrogen drops, and androgen rise. You might notice that your skin is thinner and less elastic. Even if you’ve been carefully dodging UV rays, excess pigmentation can start to build up, resulting in melasma or age spots.
Skincare in your 50’s
Gently, gently is your mantra. You don’t want to be using anything harsh or abrasive on your more delicate skin. Look for a cleanser that doesn’t harm skin or strip oils but does reveal clarity and pair this with a moisturiser that not only traps in moisture but also deflects environmental impurities.
In the clinic, opt for an ŰBER PRO PEEL following a Dermapen Treatment to promote cellular turnover and rejuvenation in a controlled setting.
- Tri-phase cleanser – As water is added, it transforms on your face from balm to gel to milk. Suitable for use on normal, combination and dry skin, our gentle face cleanser reduces the visible signs of ageing, pigmentation, and dehydration.
- Skin Veneer – It contains a powerful combination of proteins, botanicals, peptides and cholesterol that replicate the skin’s natural barrier function, working to protect your skin like a biocompatible ‘veneer’ layer whilst providing premium hydration. Ideal for Scars, stretch marks, and post-tattoo
- Nimue Cleansing Gel – 2-in-1 creamy gel
- Conditioner – conditioning skin treatment to promote skin restoration
- Multi Day Plus+ and Multi Night Plus+ – rejuvenation treatment with focus on the needs of mature environmentally damage skin with dryness, wrinkles and loss of firmness, enhanced with superior lipids and moisturisers
- Multi Rejuvenating Serum – firms smoothes, hydrates and brightens the skin
- Corrective Serum – multi-active serum for the specialised treatment of problematic skin in adults to restore skin health
- Cleanfix Cleansing gel – cleansing foam with potent boost of protective and softening ingredients (lactic acid, vit C, E & B5)
- Cleanfix Enzyme Cleansing Lotion- for skin that prefer the comfort of a lotion (bacillus ferment, pineapple extract and fermented papaya extract)
- Moisturefix Fortifying Lotion or Cream
Skin in your 60’s
COMMON CONCERNS: AGE SPOTS, SKIN INFECTIONS, DRYNESS, DEEPER WRINKLES
At 60, life can be as full or blissfully empty as you like. Perhaps you’re planning your retirement or starting a new business venture. Now’s a great time to re-evaluate what’s serving you in life and what you can let go of.
One of the things that may need tweaking. Your skincare!
From your 60s on, your body’s production of lipids decreases along with HA and collagen. Put simply, skin doesn’t regenerate the way it used to. Your UV sensitivity is also increasing, so make sure to keep up your sun protection.
Skincare in your 60’s
- It’s time to double down on your Vitamin A! As well as regular application of Retinal Active in the evening, give your skin an extra rejuvenating boost with Vitamin Rich Repair in the morning.
- Keep up your Dermapen Treatments and then boost your results with DPDermaceuticals L.E.D. Therapy. The rejuvenating power of LED strengthens thin and brittle complexions.
- If you haven’t yet, now’s the time to invest in the Dermapen Home so you can boost results from the comfort of your home.
- Also, you can’t beat our Hyla Active 3D sculptured Mask, which are not only dripping in hydrating HylaFuse HA but also loop around the ears and lift the jowls.
- AI Range of Face Serum, Day & Night Cream, Neck & Décolleté Cream and Eye Serum
- decreases wrinkle depth
- improves skin texture and surface uniformity
- lifting effect on a sagging skin
- increase in skin elasticity and firmness
- improves skin luminosity, smoothness, and softness
- improves quality of structural protein – collagen 1
LOOK YOUR BEST AT EVERY DECADE
What your skin needs to look radiant shifts with every decade. With every milestone, take stock of what’s working for you and what adjustments need to be made.
One easy way to keep skin glowing and overcome concerns during all ages is to consult a professional. Our therapists have a wealth of knowledge about skin and can tailor a Treatment Plan that will get you spectacular results.
Book a consultation with one of our therapists by clicking on the link below:
Article courtesy DPDermaceuticals